Friday 22 July 2011

When life gives you lemons.....

Beware!  It may also give you a cold to go with it!!!

For years, I've wondered why people raved on about honey and lemon drinks.  Having never really tried one, I obviously didn't get it.  Even now, I'm not sure if I've even got the recipe right, but it tastes good, I'm on my third cup for the past few hours, and it does actually seem to relieve my sore throat....

So - for other non believers, give it a go... 

Honey (about 2 teaspoons)
Freshly squeezed Lemon (I love lemon, so I've been putting in about 2 tablespoons I guess)
Pour over boiling water & mix well

That's it.  I was tempted to put a shot of Irish Whiskey in it too but the sad thing about being sick is that I didn't have the energy to get up and go find it!!!

I have been given so many lemons lately by all our neighbours, who's trees are absolutely bursting with their fruit.  They are so much nicer than store bought lemons too - they are just FULL of juice - one lemon is worth two of the shop ones.  I have frozen a lot of their juice in ice cube trays, and then I popped them all together in a large ziplock bag & stuffed them into the deep freeze.  Hopefully I'll have enough for the whole year!!!

On other news, the oven blew up today.  I was chatting to my girlfriend Gai, who lives in Mt Isa.  I put the oven on to cook the vegetarian lasagne, and after about 3 minutes there was a loud POP and the whole thing stopped working.  :(

Ken came home from work, we had dinner, and then he got his tools out and went to work on it.  First he pulled out the element, thinking that was it.  Nope.  Then he unscrewed the light bulb cover & it was full of the exploded light bulb... AHA!!!  No, we don't have a new one - bugger.  BUT - the oven will work without it if you take it out, even though there'll be no light in it.  Better than no oven though!!!

ESPECIALLY with our Christmas in July dinner party on Saturday night with the Curry Nighters!!!

So far we have:
-  Mulled Wine
-  Devils on horseback
-  Mini Quiches (cheese & chive)
-  Roast stuffed leg of lamb
-  Roast Turkey
-  Baked Ham
-  Baked Veggies
-  Fresh bread rolls
-  Home made apple pie
-  Steamed plum pudding
-  Chocolate Coffee Truffles

Mmmm.... can't wait!  There's 11 of us, which is a really good number - two tables and I actually have that many chairs, plates & knives & forks!

No comments:

Post a Comment